Archive for January, 2011
As many of you may have already learned from this week’s FNP article, FBC recently donated the first of a series of bike racks in the downtown area, in front of Brewer’s Alley. The rack proudly displays the FBC logo and provides convenient parking in front of one of our most frequented downtown businesses. Using a semi-approved list of bike rack locations put together by the City with the guidance of the Frederick Pedalers, FBC hopes to raise the funds necessary to purchase a rack for each of the designated locations. FBC supporters can contribute funds (great or small) to this cause directly through our Bike Rack fund on Paypal with each rack purchased on a priority basis as funds become available. In addition, we also provide the option to sponsor a specific rack of your choosing. All hoop racks are purchased from Dero Racks, at a total cost of $160/rack (shipping, lean bar included, and after-market logo included). Individual rack sponsors are also welcome to choose from Dero’s diverse line of bike racks; however, further coordination with the City may be required. Rack locations can be found on the below map; however, each location will need to be approved by the City on a case by case basis.
With your help we can greatly improve bike parking in Frederick!
Bike Rack Locations (not listed in any order of priority)
*Refer to map below
1) Patrick Street – in front of NOLA
2) Bump outs at the intersections along Market Street (Carroll Creek to Third Street)
3) On Market St, south of Federated Charities between the trash can and the tree
4) Courthouse – use the terraces, existing bike racks are hidden from view
5) Patrick Street entrance to the Carroll Creek Garage
6) Patrick Street – on the street – in front of the Antique Emporium
7) Additional racks nearer the entrance of the library
8) Either inside the garage, stairwell or on the street at the Municipal Annex
9) Tennis courts at Baker Park
10) Terminal building at airport (not on map)
11) Hillcrest Community Center (not on map)
12) 44 North Market Building (in back)
13) South side of Citizens Way between LaPaz and Green Turtle
14) Well Fargo Call Center in Riverside (not on map)
CLICK MAP TO ENLARGE
FBC’s monthly ladies’ ride will be held on Sunday, January 30th from 1pm – 4pm meeting at the Sandflats parking area on Gambrill Park Road (click below map to enlarge). This will be a moderately paced mountain bike ride, involving some of the more technical trails in the Frederick Municipal Forest. Please also note that there will be an opportunity for volunteer work on Saturday and Sunday morning from 10am to noon (both days), collecting garbage along FBC’s adopted section of route 40. More information on this event will soon be posted. Please direct any questions or suggestions to ride lead, Anna Kelso, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks to everyone who came out to Brewers Alley last night to support cycling in Frederick and the FBC. We had a great turnout and it was good to see so many familiar faces and lots of new ones. And a big thank you to Brewers Alley for their generous support and allowing us to host at the brewpub.
We are looking forward to a successful year in 2011. Remember, support those businesses who support us!